Monday, March 9, 2015

Paranormal Romance- It Wasn't Always Vampires and Werewolves


...At least for the publishers it wasn't.


Many, many moons ago when I first stepped into the digital publishing world I was primarily a science fiction romance writer.  I loved the genre and had a series inside of me that was bursting to break out.  The only problem was there was no market for it.  Or shall I say, there were very few e-publishers interested in releasing stories like mine into e-books.

It was kind of depressing but after lurking around the net for awhile, doing some investigating and lurking on some Yahoo Groups... I found out something I hadn't known-- according to the industry my book was placed within the #Paranormal #Romance category.

gifgifs.com resizer


For example- here's a definition from Wikipedia regarding Paranormal Romance...

Paranormal romance is a sub-genre of both romantic fiction and speculative fiction. Paranormal romance focuses on romantic love and includes elements beyond the range of scientific explanation, blending together themes from the speculative fiction genres of fantasy, science fiction, and horror. Paranormal romance may range from traditional category romances, such as those published by Harlequin Mills & Boon, with a paranormal setting to stories where the main emphasis is on a science fiction or fantasy based plot with a romantic subplot included. Common hallmarks are romantic relationships between humans and vampires, shape shifters, ghosts, and other entities of a fantastic or otherworldly nature.

Did you note the -themes from speculative fiction genres of fantasy and science fiction?



So when I was pitching my first book, in my query letters I'd state that it would make a great fit into their (the publishing house's) paranormal romance catalog.

Of course those days are long gone.  If you look on most publisher site's now or even on Amazon, you'd find science fiction romance and paranormal romance listed as separate categories.

However there is an occasion or two when both sub-genres cross paths.  I for one am grateful for the separation.  Both of them are great on their own.

~~~~~~~


-Bio 

Clare Dargin is the author of the speculative fiction romance series Cold Warriors
and the contemporary erotic paranormal romance series The Love Play Matchmaking Service.


You can find out more about her at her blogs:

Clare's Blog 2: The Haven- http://claresblog2thehaven.blogspot.com 
and
The Embraced Scribal Love- http://theembraced.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting!